by Danielle Teigen, board president
Did you know you can help Hope Blooms tend to our community? If you’re unfamiliar with our cause, we repurpose donated flowers from events like weddings, funerals and conferences by rearranging them into beautiful bedside bouquets and delivering them to individuals in hospice care, those living in nursing homes, long-term care facilities and assisted living as well as struggling mothers and families facing loss or difficult times.
Research consistently links flowers with well-being. There are both mental and physical benefits to embracing flowers, such as:
– Patients with flowers in their hospital rooms needed less pain medication, had lower blood pressure and were less tired than patients without flowers at their bedside.
– Floral scents have been tied to elevated moods and decreased anxiety.
– Having flowers in view has been shown to improve cognitive performance and creativity.
Sources: Journal of Environmental Psychology, Huffington Post, Psychology Today
We also know that creating moments of unexpected acts of kindness is good for a person’s overall health:
– Witnessing acts of kindness produces oxytocin, which increases self-esteem and optimism andis helpful when we’re anxious or shy in a social situation.
– People feel stronger and more energetic after helping others; many also report feeling calmer and less depressed, with increased feelings of self-worth.
– Like most medical antidepressants, kindness stimulates the production of serotonin. This feel-good chemical heals wounds, calms you down and makes you happy!
Sources: UC Berkeley, Greater Good Science Center, Dr. Ritchie Davidson, University of Wisconsin
Here are five ways you can support Hope Blooms in completing this critical work:
1. If you are affiliated with any organization hosting an upcoming event where flower arrangements will be used, arrange to have them donated to Home Blooms.
2. Donate flowers from your own personal garden.
3. Donate clean, pint-sized canning jars or similarly sized food jars.
4. Donate twine or string to secure a special tag with the message “You matter” to each bouquet.
5. Contribute a financial donation to the organization. It costs $6 to create one bouquet, and that doesn’t account for the administrative costs, bookkeeping and other software, website management, supplies like clippers and bins, a dedicated space for Hope Blooms and delivery vehicle.
If you feel moved to tend to our community through a monetary donation, you can mail your contribution to the below address of complete our online donation form.
PO Box 9705
Fargo, ND 58106